Thursday, October 14, 2010

Leavin' on a jet plane....

Yep, I've always loved that song.  Whether it's by Peter Paul and Mary (I say it with pride Mom and Dad, don't you worry.  Remember that cassette??) Jewel, or Chantal Kreviazuk, there is something about that song that stirs me every time.  Sitting here tonight, adding final items to our luggage, and listening to the soulful lyrics with this sentimental side of me welling up.  While I'm not leaving behind a man who I'm crazy in love with and won't see for a time (he's coming!), I am leaving three of my little cherubs, and this is always hard to do.  I know they will be having a blast, because that's what grandparents do best, but still....this is our longest stretch away from them.  On the other hand, we have this incredible feeling of expectation.  In just a few short days we will lay eyes on the child we've been waiting over two years to meet!  On top of that, we are about to experience a little bit of Africa....AFRICA!!!!  To spend a week in A.Z's birth country is the ultimate privilege.  We truly want to soak it all in....the climate, the people, the culture, the cuisine (hope I'm saying this in a few days....ahem....), the beauty, the poverty, the joys and the pain.  Ethiopia has already changed us, and we have little doubt that more transformation is inevitable, and necessary. 


So, yes, "my bags are packed, I'm ready to go".....(I know you'll be singing this in your head by the end of the post). We're pretty much set and all the details seem to be coming together.  Just the other day I was sharing with someone how blessed we feel.  So many things~ too many to share, but endless ways leading up to this trip that we've seen our needs met.  We are not seasoned travellers (shocking, I know) and at just the right time I'd connect with someone who had information that was most helpful as we planned this adventure.  From flights, to accommodations in Eth., to in-country tips and insight, what to expect during the court proceedings, etc....Not the mention the help I've received setting up this very blog (you know who you are!).  This may sound trivial or coincidental to some, but I've seen this happen way too many times in my life to feel anything but gratitude that God cares so much about the small details of our lives.  So, with that profound knowledge, we leave with great anticipation and peace.  Can't wait to see what the future holds!
We're hoping that the internet cooperates so we have a way to update everyone at home. The support of our awesome family, friends and amazing church family has been invaluable, so we'll do our best to keep you "in the know"...
Lots of love...S.
One more thing~ rest easy and search no more, because I think I may have successfully linked here to C. Kreviazuk's version of the above mentioned song, purely for your listening pleasure!!  Enjoy!! (D and PD, are you impressed?? :) )

9 comments:

  1. Let me say that you have linking skills are amazing...so is the clock!!
    Tonight we, as a team, again, prayed for your family, as you prepare to FINALLY travel to Ethiopia.
    May God's grace lead you, carry you, and protect you.

    Deve

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wonder of God moving in our lives! The creator of all that there is, cares about what we are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you are actually going! Have a great time and try not to get sick--Hannah!

    Aynsley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jeff and Shana! I'll be praying for you today and over the coming weeks. Hope your trip goes smoothly ... I can't even imagine the emotions you guys must be experiencing as you head off to meet your son. Wow. Thanks for sharing the journey on your blog - love it!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Shana. I'm here at work on a break, and I read your blog. Now that song's in my head. Except when I think of it, I think of the movie "Armageddon" when that crew of rag-tags was going up in the space ship to save the world and they sang that. Oh well.....better than than the "ma na ma na" song from Sesame Street I guess. (hehehe...you're welcome)

    See you all soon. Prayin' for you. L8R

    GH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shana,Jeff,Hanah :):):)
    We are so happy for you guys!! Praying that Our Amazing Heavenly Father will keep you pretected and sheilded every second,minute,hour of every day.I believe He will because He loves us all so very much!!! Looking forward to hearing more!! Shana,it is a great joy to teach Hudson so I'll be sure to give him a big high five on Sunday for his mommy and daddy and big sis.
    Take Care,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you SO much for including us in your journey. We love you guys and we too already love little Zake! You can count on us praying for each of you!

    The Jennings Bunch

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey you guys! You are in TO now and enjoying supper...so the txt from joelle says :) Just have to tell you in print... we love you all... and can't wait for zake to join us all:)
    Praying for safe/healthy travel.
    love
    beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey guys!

    Congratulations on the great news. Heather & I are very excited for you! Wishing God's protection and leading as you continue your journey.

    Can't wait to meet the newest Vanderslagt!

    Craig & Heather

    ReplyDelete